Monday, July 31, 2006

Gay Marriage.

The issue of gay marriage is one of supreme indifference to me. There is no great necessity for it, the few injustices gay couples may suffer can be dealt with on an individual basis, I would probably vote against it if I had to make a decision but I'm really not that bothered and I doubt that allowing them would cause any great harm. However despite this indifference I am absolutely delighted at today's court ruling that the UK is not obliged to recognise the lesbian marriages carried out in other countries, for the simple reason that it is a defeat for the concept of legislating from the courts. If the couple wish for gay marriages to be recognised in the UK they have every right to campaign for Parliament to amend the law but what they were trying to was short circuit Parliament and get a judicial diktat instead which has to be completely unacceptable.

No comments: