Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Go Lex!

Superhero films are not something I'm into, some individual movies are ok but the overwhelming sillyness* of the cental conceit means that they have to be extremely good in order for me to look past that and enjoy the film. So I'm probably not the right person to appreciate Superman, but why would anyone root for a character who has been given far superior natural abilities to any villain he faces, shouldn't you be cheering the plucky underdog who uses only his wits in the fight? It's like backing Goliath against David or Chelsea against Southport.

* It isn't the supernormal abilities I find silly, I can suspend my disbelief for that, it is the fact that the first reaction of someone with these gifts is to dress up in a ridiculous spandex outfit and give themselves a really crappy nickname.

No comments: