Sunday, July 08, 2007

Bureaucracy Harms Innocent Dog.

My dog has had a cough recently so I took him to the vet last week and he prescribed some antibiotics and recommended that I get something for his throat to ease the symptoms, namely the children's version of Benylin. So as I did my shopping in Tesco I went to their in store pharmacy and asked for some, in the course of my purchase I mentioned that it was for my dog. This turned out to be a mistake as the pharmacist stopped mid purchase to explain that she couldn't sell it to me anymore because they were only licensed to sell medicines for humans. This is problematic because there are no such thing as dog pharmacies as far as I can tell, and also it was me who was buying it not the dog, these explanations did not change the mind of the Tesco pharmacist. It seems an pointless rule to have, at least once they have established that it was recommended by a vet. They only notable side effects of Benylin appear to be drowsiness and seeing as my dog doesn't operate heavy machinery,unless attacking lawn mowers counts, so I really don't get this rule.

No comments: