Friday, January 25, 2008

Story Of The Decade- Man Likes Potatoes!!!

As I'm sure everyone knows, 2008 is the United Nations' "International Year of the Potato" so there will inevitably be a mountain of half baked (geddit?!) spud related stories until January 2009. This one from the China Daily for example:

Former James Bond star Pierce Brosnan is a potato lover and has the carbohydrate-rich vegetable as often as he can.

The 54-year-old actor has revealed that he can't live without potatoes and tries to add as many as possible in his diet.

"I love potatoes - baked, mashed, roasted and boiled, or fried with cold, sliced tomatoes," Contactmusic quoted Brosnan, as saying.

"I could eat them every night of the week. I can't live without a good potato," he added.

Recently, a photographer sued Brosnan for allegedly punching him at a mall in Malibu.
In accordance with his national stereotype, he likes potatoes but the last sentence confuses me though. What has that got to do with the rest of the 'news' story? Are they trying to imply that the consumption of potatoes makes people violent or that having an unhealthy obsession with tubers is linked to aggression? If so should the United Nations really be promoting these dangerous vegetables?

I case you're wondering, yes I am extremely bored as I write this.

2 comments:

James Higham said...

I love mashed potato and as I can't get enough of it here, I always order it with meals at stolovaya.

Ross said...

In Russia aren't potatoes one of the vegetables that can be fermented to make vodka? No wonder they don't want to waste on mashed potato.